Thursday, October 26, 2017

Postmodernism Readings

I hate to critique a piece of writing without finding something I enjoyed about it, but frankly I didn't enjoy much about either the Postmodernism Introduction or Jean Baudrillard's piece on Disneyland. From what I gathered in these two readings, Postmodernism is merely satirical art hellbent on pointing out the flaws of modern culture and interests. I don't understand the author's brief implication that the merging of cultures in our society today was positive only to go on and denounce it as the fragmentation of culture. This makes it sound like less of a blending of cultures and more like cultures are being broken and diluted. The Disneyland reading was no more redeeming with its belief that Disneyland's fake world only exists to make our fake world seem more real. Sure, Los Angeles in particular can be a little vapid because it's an entertainment hub, but that doesn't make the people and their lives and experiences any less real. I just don't really understand what Postmodernism is attempting to accomplish based on these two readings

No comments:

Post a Comment